Skip to main content

My Ebenezers

 I love the hymn "Come thou Fount", it's one of my very favorites. Every time we sing this song as a church family or our own family worship, I am overcome with emotion as I ponder the words of the hymn.  I often have to stop singing. 

However, I'm disappointed when some editors of hymnals have changed the words:  "Here I raise my Ebenezer, hither by thy help I'm come and I hope by thy good pleasure safely to arrive at home".  Ebenezer is a big word and can leave some puzzled in it's meaning, we don't often use it in conversation.  It's worth recovering. 

The line from the third verse "Let that grace now, like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to thee" is often changed as well.

Fetter is a “chain/shackle usually around the ankle to hold a prisoner”.  To be shackled to Him by His grace, what a beautiful picture...

Ebenezer is a Hebrew word for "stone of help".

In 1 Samuel 7:12, after being saved from an attack by the LORD's thundering mightiness, Samuel took a "stone and set it up" calling it Ebenezer and declaring, "til now the LORD has helped us".  

The editors of our current hymnal used the words, "hither to thy love has blest me".  I stumbled over the words for the first year or two.  It wasn't what my heart had memorized.  For me, the rich meaning is lost.  It's not that "thy love has blest me" isn't true, it just has a completely different connotation for my life.  

I have been delivered over and over by the Lord's thundering.  I set up stones or "raised my Ebenezer" for remembering the times that the Lord has reached down in my circumstances and provided a way when I saw no way. I've journaled, blogged and told our children the stories.  I point to the turn in the path saying, "there...".  It was there that He used that time of trouble, loss, grief, or disappointment to guide, shape and direct me. Here’s where I waited with bated breath to see how the Lord was working. So that I never forget what He has done in the past and faith is built for trusting him more in future times.  We are told often in scripture to remember.  By remembering, I know and trust those things are necessary for me to be drawn more and more to Him so that I "safely arrive at home".  

The trouble and heartbreak came and will come again, the things that threaten to undo us will visit over and over throughout this life... but God's grace and mercy have sought us and will bring us safely home.

Raise your Ebenezers!

(Original post on Facebook 2017)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Blessings, Birds and Bees

Well, yesterday was an interesting day. It came on the heels of a weekend of sickness, both Nate and Joe. Nate was officially diagnosed with croup and exacerbation of asthma and is still taking steroids and sounds worse, but the light at the end of the tunnel is on! Joe stayed in all weekend and sounded almost as bad as Nate minus the wheezing. We kept our family home (even from church, small group, etc) feeling like hermits. And, even though the boys were both sick, I picked up sweet Bella the dog on Saturday from a friend who works with the NC Lab rescue group. We know we eventually want another dog, but not until Nate is old enough to handle it. Bella, a one year old yellow lab- sheltie mix, house-broken, crate-trained 28 pound sweet girl, is going to spend a little time at our house and see how it goes. The kids think we're pet-sitting to help out Mrs. D, which is true, sort-of. The sweetest moment came yesterday when Nate gave a bedtime blessing to Bella the Dog. &qu

Overheard from the front seat of the Mini-van...

Nate: "mommy is E (a friend's son) 2 or 4? Me: "He's 2" Nate: "Well, that's not far from 4" Nate: After a moment "Mommy, How did E's Mommy get the baby sissy in her tummy" Me: "Well, it's pretty cool...God made a very special way for Mommy's and Daddy's to grow a baby in Mommies' tummies kinda like planting a seed" Nate: "Can boys have babies" Me: "No, God just gave mommies the special parts to have a baby in their tummies" Nate: "I want you to get a baby in your tummy" Me: "Well, Mommies parts don't work to have babies anymore" Nate: "Mommy, how old do I have to be to play basketball...."

Lurkers...De-Lurk!

Cute, huh? De-lurk...leave a comment on the blogs you visit and let the bloggers know you read thier stuff. I plan to!