Skip to main content

A Lesson in Lunch Meat

 Today, I stood at the deli counter at our local Walmart. When the lady finally came over, I was sure I’d misheard the lady behind the counter. It was mid-afternoon and she told me she was closed, couldn’t cut me any meat because she was cleaning up before she left and they are short staffed. I was too tired to be at The Walmart.  I felt like someone had just stole my balloon. 

I stood there in literal shock, I just wanted Nate’s 2 pounds of deli meat. My mind started spinning and I wasn’t thinking very clearly. 

I just needed for Nate to be able to make 59 Dagwood sandwiches next week. He doesn’t eat at school. He runs and has soccer practice. He needs to be able to think and do pages of Pre-calculus homework and study for Chemistry . 

I just wanted meat and to go home. Where is this all going to end? The whole world is short staffed. 

 I thought of my coworkers and I, we worked short staffed and overbooked this week as did many. I was tired. It was a long week. But, we kept cutting the deli meat and putting it on the scales til we were done. Everyone who needed surgery was either tucked into their own beds or hospital beds safely. The work was done. Glory, I was crying at the deli counter. Maybe it was just past my nap time,but for a minute I wanted a manager. I wanted a manager to tell me what we could do to get me some of that meat. Did they need me behind that counter for a while?  I can use a slicer with some practice. I know how to work a scale. I’m an expert at printing labels. 

I for sure can smile and be friendly with folks, even if they can’t see it for my mask and eye protection. 

What if we just stopped when we were short staffed? 

All that reminded me how we were all very thankful for this mid-day pick me up on an especially long Friday from @thecaffeinatedcowcheraw . It gave me a second wind. 

And my coworkers and I? Well, we laughed, cried and maybe even yelled some, but we stayed and we got it done… and this weekend those on call will roll in with a moments notice to get it done again, and on Monday we’ll all roll back in to stay and get it done again. 

I am thankful for this excellent gang of warriors the Lord has placed me with. I am thankful for our surgeons, our ICU nurses, our Med-surg folks, our ED crew, the folks in the kitchen who feed us and the people who come clean up all my messes and get us rolling to get in the next patients who need help. We are all working short staffed. But, we all need each other to get it all done. 

It may not always be perfect but we don’t quit on each other. I am so thankful for this excellent gang of warriors the Lord has placed me with. It may not always be perfect but we don’t quit on each other.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Blessings, Birds and Bees

Well, yesterday was an interesting day. It came on the heels of a weekend of sickness, both Nate and Joe. Nate was officially diagnosed with croup and exacerbation of asthma and is still taking steroids and sounds worse, but the light at the end of the tunnel is on! Joe stayed in all weekend and sounded almost as bad as Nate minus the wheezing. We kept our family home (even from church, small group, etc) feeling like hermits. And, even though the boys were both sick, I picked up sweet Bella the dog on Saturday from a friend who works with the NC Lab rescue group. We know we eventually want another dog, but not until Nate is old enough to handle it. Bella, a one year old yellow lab- sheltie mix, house-broken, crate-trained 28 pound sweet girl, is going to spend a little time at our house and see how it goes. The kids think we're pet-sitting to help out Mrs. D, which is true, sort-of. The sweetest moment came yesterday when Nate gave a bedtime blessing to Bella the Dog. &qu

Overheard from the front seat of the Mini-van...

Nate: "mommy is E (a friend's son) 2 or 4? Me: "He's 2" Nate: "Well, that's not far from 4" Nate: After a moment "Mommy, How did E's Mommy get the baby sissy in her tummy" Me: "Well, it's pretty cool...God made a very special way for Mommy's and Daddy's to grow a baby in Mommies' tummies kinda like planting a seed" Nate: "Can boys have babies" Me: "No, God just gave mommies the special parts to have a baby in their tummies" Nate: "I want you to get a baby in your tummy" Me: "Well, Mommies parts don't work to have babies anymore" Nate: "Mommy, how old do I have to be to play basketball...."

Lurkers...De-Lurk!

Cute, huh? De-lurk...leave a comment on the blogs you visit and let the bloggers know you read thier stuff. I plan to!