Skip to main content

Second Day...

at my new job was spent doing computer training. The lady and I got a kick out of each other...and went down a few bunny trails. One of which included talking about the good 'ole days of nursing...back when we charted on paper...wore white starched uniforms...support hose and nurse mate shoes and some of us (me at my very first job) wore nursing caps...and even the not-so-long-ago time when we wore color coordinated scrubs for each floor. This stemmed somehow from a conversation about when we each got the Hepatitis B vaccine and trying to remember when it came out. I am sure that I received my first series in 1992...shortly after the vaccine was approved for health care workers. Followed by a titer that was positive.
I remember vividly my very first orientation at my very first health care job. It was a small 100 bed hospital...I worked on 600 Hall, where the surgical patients were, as a unit secretary during the 3p-11p shift on Friday. Saturday and Sunday I often worked 7am to 7pm. It was a great job for a nursing student and I couldn't have gotten better training. The worst part about the job is that I missed weekends with my new husband...and the last few months with my Momma.

Anyway, it was a good second day. Working half days like this sure are nice. The boy and I still had time to play outside before a nap...and I was home when the girl got off the school bus. And one more day...that the boy was cared for and loved!

A quote for the day...from a book I'm reading by Beverly Lewis (the Amish books...) The Secret:


Grace located the item the other clerk had wanted and wondered what might have prompted the customer's preference for all things simple. She recalled something Mammi Adah often said with a knowing smile on her wrinkled face: "When you get what you want....do you want what you get?" Grace assumed it was merely human to crave a different situation in life and not something unique to fancy folk.


Let me know what you think about that...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Blessings, Birds and Bees

Well, yesterday was an interesting day. It came on the heels of a weekend of sickness, both Nate and Joe. Nate was officially diagnosed with croup and exacerbation of asthma and is still taking steroids and sounds worse, but the light at the end of the tunnel is on! Joe stayed in all weekend and sounded almost as bad as Nate minus the wheezing. We kept our family home (even from church, small group, etc) feeling like hermits. And, even though the boys were both sick, I picked up sweet Bella the dog on Saturday from a friend who works with the NC Lab rescue group. We know we eventually want another dog, but not until Nate is old enough to handle it. Bella, a one year old yellow lab- sheltie mix, house-broken, crate-trained 28 pound sweet girl, is going to spend a little time at our house and see how it goes. The kids think we're pet-sitting to help out Mrs. D, which is true, sort-of. The sweetest moment came yesterday when Nate gave a bedtime blessing to Bella the Dog. &qu

Overheard from the front seat of the Mini-van...

Nate: "mommy is E (a friend's son) 2 or 4? Me: "He's 2" Nate: "Well, that's not far from 4" Nate: After a moment "Mommy, How did E's Mommy get the baby sissy in her tummy" Me: "Well, it's pretty cool...God made a very special way for Mommy's and Daddy's to grow a baby in Mommies' tummies kinda like planting a seed" Nate: "Can boys have babies" Me: "No, God just gave mommies the special parts to have a baby in their tummies" Nate: "I want you to get a baby in your tummy" Me: "Well, Mommies parts don't work to have babies anymore" Nate: "Mommy, how old do I have to be to play basketball...."

Lurkers...De-Lurk!

Cute, huh? De-lurk...leave a comment on the blogs you visit and let the bloggers know you read thier stuff. I plan to!